Thursday, August 24, 2006
Peerkangai Kootu (Ridge Gourd Kootu)
2 Medium size Ridge Gourd
1/2cup Moong dal
1/4cup Thoor dal
1 Medium size Onion
1 Medium size Tomato
2 Green chillis
1/2tsp Cumin seeds
1tsp Coriander powder
1/2tsp Chilli powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/4tsp Turmind concentrate
salt for taste
1. First fry the moong dal in a pressure pan for 5-6 mts & add the thoor dal combine both & pour 1 glass of water & pressure in to 1 whistle.
2. Cut the ridge gourd into round pieces & add the pieces,green chilli,turmeric powder,coriander powder,chill powder & salt to the dal & cook the dal till ridge gourd becomes soft.
3. Then,in a kadai heat the oil & put the cumin seeds & let them splutter.Add the chopped onion
& fry till golden brown & add the chopped tomato cook for 6-7 mts.
4. Now,add the dal to the kadai & cook for 10 mts i medium heat.Kutu is ready.
5. Serve the kutu with rice,roti & puri.
Tips:The dal should be half cooked.If it is over cooked it will become garvy not kootu.