Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Bottle Gourd Dal















Today I am blogging bottle gourd dal.Its a different dal made with bottle gourd & it will be very good with rice & the simple side dish for the dal will be papad.This is one of my husbands favorite dish.This I am sharing with you.

Ingredients:

1 Medium size bottle gourd
1 cup Thoor dal
1 Medium size Onion
1 Medium size Tomato
4 Green chillies
1 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp Chilli powder
1 tsp Cumin seeds
Oil
Salt for taste

Method:

1. Add the medium size pieces of bottle gourd,green chillies,turmeric powder to the pressure cooked thoor dal & cook for 15 mts.
















2. Then add the coriander powder & chilli powder & again cook for 10 mts.

3. Now,in a kadai pre-heat the oil & splutter the cumin seeds.Add the chopped onion fry till golden brown.

4. Add the chopped tomato cook for 5-6 mts.Add the cooked the bottle gourd & cook the final bottle gourd for 5-6 mts till oil seperates from the gravy.

5. Serve hot with Rice,Roti.

9 comments:

Vaishali said...

Hi Deepa,
I found your blog only today. I see that you've been blogging since July. Must go and visit your Archives now. In the meanwhile, I am adding you to my blog roll.

Krithika said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. You have a great blog with some lovely recipes. Hope to see you often :-)

Foodie's Hope said...

Hi deepa, your dal is sooo delicious!! I will make sure I get some gourd next time!! Thanks!!

Priya Bhaskaran said...

Deepa, I always end up making Kalan or Sambhar with this veggie.... now I have something different to try:)

Prema Sundar said...

Deepa,
I dont know many recipes with bottlegourd. I make one kootu with this veg by using coconut.. this is a diff one which i can give a try. thanks for the recipe.

Archana said...

Just discovered your blog today. A nice collection of authentic recipes, will come back soon.

Vidya said...

HI just found ur blog, great recipe. quick questions...do you know if I can frozen bottle gourd with this.. cut it and froze it so that it doesnt rot..
Thanks

Deepa Cooks said...

Hi LAdy phoenix chatters,

I don't know thats its in the frozen section in grocery.If it is their you can use.But,you cut & you can store in the fridge not in the frozen.It will me fresh for two or three days only.

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting for me to read that post. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

 
Tamil Nadu, South Indian, Authentic South Indian, Authentic Chettinad, Salna / Mutton chalna, Spinach Pakoda , Egg Kuruma , Spinach Curry(Pasalikeerai Poriyal) , Kadai Chicken , Gravy Egg Noodles(Mee rabbos in Malaysian) , Sardinas Fish Gravy , Potato in Tomato Gravy , Tindora curry , Idly Sambar , Fish Sambal , Cabbage Kootu , Pepper Chicken , Okra Curry , Chick Peas Kuruma , Bottle Gourd Dal , Quick Egg Fried Rice , Idly and Fried Coconut Chutney , Brinjal and Potato Tarmarind Gravy , Desi Chori(Cow Peas) Tarmarind Gravy , Vegetable Noodles , Payasam , Potato Brinjal Curry, Vendakkai Puzhi Kulambu (Okra Tamarind Gravy) , Peerkangai Kootu (Ridge Gourd Kootu) , Vegetable Rice , Aatu Kari Kulambu (Mutton Curry) , Urulaikizhangu Pattani Poriyal (Aloo Mutter Curry) , Fish Fry , Fish Curry , Chicken Fry , Chicken Gravy , Tomato Chutney , Sambar , Mutton Kuruma