Friday, September 01, 2006
Idly & Fried Coconut Chutney
Every day begins with Idly or Dosai in Tamilnadu.In our house my mom used to make different varities of chutnies; one of the chutney is this fried coconut chutney. I consider myself a specialist in making the chutnies. My brother is crazy about the chutney that I make. When I went to vacation to Indian last April my brother made a special request to make this chutny. I thought I will share this simple yet very yummy chutney with you guys.
Ingredients for the Chutney:
1cup Grated Coconut
3 Green Chillies or dry chillies
1tbsp Channa Dal
1 Small onion
1 Small tomato
4 Curry leaves
Salt for taste
1tsp Mustard seeds
1/2tsp Urad dal
3 Curry leaves
1. Pre-heat the oil thea kadai & put channa dal fry till gloden brown.Add the chopped onion,ginger & chillis fry for 7-8mts.
2. Now,put the tomato,curry leaves & salt & fry for 5mts & then grated coconut & fry the coconut for 5mts.
4. Grind the fry coconut & pour in a vessel.
5. Now pre-heat the oil in a same pan & splutter the mustard seed,urad dal & curry leaves & pour into the vessel.
6. Fried coconut chutney is ready you can serve with idle & dosai.
1. Soak 1 glass of rice & 1/4 to 1/2 cup of urad dal atleast for 4 hours & grind them in grinder.put salt to the batter & whip it & keep it for atleast 5-6 hours.
2. The batter rises in 4-5 hours.You can make idly using the Idly vessel.