Salna / Mutton chalna
Salna - This dish is very common in my part of tamil nadu.
Although, I have to admit, I don't make it very often.
Last week, we brought goat meat.
There was just too much of bones hidden beneath.
That's when it strike me to make this dish, as this dish needs more bones and less meat.
I made regular goat curry ("Aatu kari pirattal") as side dish and made the salna as the main dish.
As usual my husband liked it very much, but this time the surprise was that my 2 yr old, who has no inclination for non-veg, also liked it very much.
It might look different for a non-veg dish but for those who like less spice and still want mutton, this will be perfect fit.
Give it a try.
1/2 cup Toor Dal
1/4 kg Mutton bones
1 tsp Fennel seeds
2 Onion(medium size)
2 Tomato(medium size)
1/ tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsps Coriander powder
2 tbsps Chilli powder
1 tsp Ginger-garlic Paste
1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
2 Bay leaves
2 Cinnamon(medium size)
5 tbsps Oil
Coriander leaves for garnishing
Salt for taste
1. Take toor dal & the mutton bone pieces in a pressure cooker & cook untill 2 whistles.
2. Now,heat the oil in the kadai splutter Cloves,bay leaves & cinnamon.
3. Then,add the chopped onion & when the onion is half done add the ginger-garlic paste & fry for 2-3mts.
4. Now,add the chopped tomato,salt,turmeric powder & curry leaves & fry till oil seperates from the gravy.
5. Add the chill powder & coriander powder & fry for another 4-5mts or untill oil seperates from the oil.
6. Now,add the boiled mutton bone pieces & toor dal & cook for next 4-5mts.
7. Put the lid on the kadai & cook in low heat 3-4mts.
8. Salna or chalna is ready serve with Paratha,roti,puri ,Biryani , idli, idiyappam,dosai & also with plain white rice.