Monday, October 08, 2007

Raw Mango Dal with Baingan Bartha


















Here I am posting my hubby favorite dal & baingan bartha.
Raw Mango Dal
Ingredients:
  • 6 pieces Raw Mango
  • 3/4cup Moong Dal
  • 5-6 Cloves Garlic
  • 1 Medium Onion
  • 1 Medium Tomato
  • 1/4 Turmeric powder
  • 1/2 tsp Chilli powder
  • 1/4 tsp Coriander powder
  • 2 medium size dry chillies
  • 1 tsp Mustard seeds
  • 4-5 Curry leaves
  • 2 tsp Salt
  • 2 tbsp Oil

Method:

1. Boil the dal with raw mango,cloves garlic,onion & tomato till two whisle.
2. Now,add the turmeric powder,coriander powder,chilli powder & salt.
3. Then, heat the oil in a kadai & splutter some mustard seeds & curry leaves.


4. Finally,Add the dal & cook for 2 mts.
5. Raw Mango dal is ready serve hot with Rice,Roti etc...
Baingan Bartha:
Ingredients:
  • 4-5 Indian Eggplant
  • 2 Medium Onion
  • 2 Medium Tomato
  • 2 Green chillies
  • 3/4 Chilli powder
  • 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
  • 1/2 tspCoriander powder
  • 1/2 Lemon size tarmarind(soaked in hot water for 10 mts & take the juice)
  • 1/2 cup Water
  • 1/2 Mustard seeds
  • Oil
  • Salt for taste
Method:

1.
Cut the eggplant a + slit length wise add 1/4 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp coriander powder & mix well.
2. Now in a non-stick pan add 1 tsp oil & fry the eggplant in all size for 6-7 mts.
3. Now,heat the oil in a kadai & add the chopped onion & fry till golden brown.
4. Add chopped tomato,turmeric powder & salt & cook till the oil seperate from the gravy (for 4-
5 mts).
5. Then, Add the chilli powder & coriander powder & cook for 4-5 mts.
6. Now,add the tarmarind juice & 1/2 cup water cook for 10-12 mts till gravy is thick.
7. Then, add the fried eggplant to the gravy & cook the garvy in medium heat for next 2 mts.
8. Finally garnish with coriander leaves & serve hot.

21 comments:

SHANTI BHANU said...

hi i love mango dal and baingan bartha looks yummy

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Wow,mouth watering recipe...Raw mango dal...!!Love your brinjal bartha too...!!!

KayKat said...

Mmm ... mango daal - supreme comfort food :)

Cinnamon said...

They looks just like how mom makes them... Love them..

Asha said...

That is great looking Thali, I would like some!:))

Timepass said...

Very yummy

Siri said...

Both are my all time favorite recipes..:D and they look yumm..:)

Latha Narasimhan said...

raw mango adds such a powerful flavour to dal - love this recipe

remya said...

baingan bartha is my fav..goes well with roti....urs looks lovely...i like ur mango dal also

Menu Today said...

Hi Deepa,
Nice spread!!! Looks yummy!!

Linda said...

Hi Deepa, that baingan bartha is different from any recipe I have seen, so I must try it. Looks really delicious with the mango dal! :)

Soul Cocina said...

Three of my favorite ingredients. Green mango, moong dal, and eggplant.

I have never tried bainghan bartha with tamarind. That recipe sounds great.

Do you know what this is?
http://soulcocina.blogspot.com/2007/12/whats-this.html

I thought you might be able to help me identify this unique indian fruit.

Thanks for your help.

I enjoy your blog.

Roger

Divya said...

Hi Deepa, I frequently end up at your blog when I hunt for Tamil recipes and find your recipes most authentic. I will be blog rolling you soon. Great job!

http://deemix.wordpress.com

meeso said...

Mmmmm, Baingan Bartha is one of my favorite dishes that I have never made but your post is tempting me so much :)

AG said...

Hi,

You do not mention how much raw mango to use. How big are the 6 pieces?
When is the turmeric added? Won't it taste raw if I add it after pressure cooking the dal?

Thanks,
AG

Deepa Cooks said...

Hi Ag,

Just add about 6 inch pecies of raw mango.Add turmeric after pressure cooking & the mango will not be raw it cooks in 5mints ok.

Viki Xavier. said...

Hi, I like your articles very much.I am your fan and I have a sweet little surprise for you in my blog.Yes ! You are given an award . Visit my blog for details.
Regards, Viki xavier.

Gita's Kitchen said...

Hi,
First time to your blog. The photos are awesome. Love the mango dhal and baighan barta.

Sarmila said...

Good recipes,
i love it

Azee said...

Looks yummy and i am sure it will taste yummy too..

Anonymous said...

Usually I do not learn post on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very pressured me to try and do so! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thank you, very great post.

 
Tamil Nadu, South Indian, Authentic South Indian, Authentic Chettinad, Salna / Mutton chalna, Spinach Pakoda , Egg Kuruma , Spinach Curry(Pasalikeerai Poriyal) , Kadai Chicken , Gravy Egg Noodles(Mee rabbos in Malaysian) , Sardinas Fish Gravy , Potato in Tomato Gravy , Tindora curry , Idly Sambar , Fish Sambal , Cabbage Kootu , Pepper Chicken , Okra Curry , Chick Peas Kuruma , Bottle Gourd Dal , Quick Egg Fried Rice , Idly and Fried Coconut Chutney , Brinjal and Potato Tarmarind Gravy , Desi Chori(Cow Peas) Tarmarind Gravy , Vegetable Noodles , Payasam , Potato Brinjal Curry, Vendakkai Puzhi Kulambu (Okra Tamarind Gravy) , Peerkangai Kootu (Ridge Gourd Kootu) , Vegetable Rice , Aatu Kari Kulambu (Mutton Curry) , Urulaikizhangu Pattani Poriyal (Aloo Mutter Curry) , Fish Fry , Fish Curry , Chicken Fry , Chicken Gravy , Tomato Chutney , Sambar , Mutton Kuruma